Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Almost-Perfected Muffins: Chocolate Orange with Carob Chips and Walnut (whew!)


As unappealing as "almost-perfected" may sound, these really are quite delicious. I do think I can make them better-- bigger, fluffier, etc. Perhaps a bit more liquid would do, as these used very little. I also finally figured out that the temperature being too low was the reason for my muffin cave ins... they had been rising and then caving every time. See? I'm learning! It's so exciting.

Another perfect morning pick me up (those carob chips really do it for me!)

Chocolate-Orange with Carob Chips and Walnut Muffins
Ingredients:

  • 2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp. Dutch cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c. canola/safflower/sunflower/coconut oil
  • 1/2 c. orange juice
  • 1/2 c. water
  • zest of one orange
  • 1/2 c. carob chips
  • 1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
  • oats for topping

1. preheat oven to 400 degrees and oil your muffin pan or muffin cups.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, Ener-G powder and salt. Make sure it's completely mixed (my baking powder is driving me nuts w/ clumps lately).
3. In medium bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, vanilla, orange juice and zest. Mix well, then fold into the dry ingredients gently. Stir the water in last.
4. Once everything is combined, fold in the walnuts and carob chips. If it's too thick, feel free to add another 1/4 - 1/2 c. water. I didn't, but I probably will next time, as they came out pretty crumbly.
5. Divide batter between 12 cups, then sprinkle tops with oats.
6. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes on middle rack, then let cool before eating!

Yum! I love chocolate muffins... especially when they are good for you!

Oh, and I also wanted to share this:



That is the Classic Quiche from Vegan Vittles. I made it last night, adding steamed broccoli for a green veggies boost. It was pretty good! A little sticky, but Phil had leftovers for lunch and he said it was better after he left it in the oven a little longer. I think that, since I used a glass casserole dish in lieu of a pie pan, I should have added 10 minutes or so to the baking time (which i didn't). But it was good enough to try again! I wish I could post the recipe...

0 comments: