Monday, March 31, 2008

A New Idea

This idea might not last very long, but I though it might be fun to try to theme my cooking adventures. As much as I enjoy reading the other vegan blogs out there, I'd like to do something that sets me apart, and I'm really not. So I thought I would try to tackle cuisine not normally associated with vegetarians or vegans. Those that come to mind immediately are French, Irish/British, Cuban... just to name a few. I should be able to name more, which is more proof that I need to expand my global-culinary-knowledge.

In the future I'd like to check out books from the library and veganize recipes, but this week I'm using the internet, and I chose Irish cuisine.

Now, looking at the options sort of makes me feel nauseous. I haven't eaten a "meat and potatoes" diet ever in my life, and I don't really want to. But I'm going to anyways. And somehow I'm going to find a way to still incorporate whole grains and a lot of vegetables (I like potatoes, but we aren't lovers or anything).

Here's the menu for this week:

Bangers and Mash (I'm told this is the British name, but the dish still exists in Ireland)
Dublin Coddle
Pea and Ham Soup
Boiled Bacon and Cabbage
Parsnip and Apple Soup

Blech. That sounds disgusting. Wish me luck! Oh, and Phil gets to make two meals of his choice this week, so hopefully we'll get a break at some point. I'll post the recipes and pictures as I go.

Oh, I almost forgot. This is part of the promise I made myself that I mentioned in the last entry, which is: I'm not buying any more vegan cookbooks. Gifts are fine, but for the time being I'd like to use what I've got and learn from other people. Sort of like the mentality behind 101 Cookbooks, ya know? Okay, that's all!

2 comments:

SueWho said...

Sounds great - I can't wait to see what you come up with! Especially from the Irish perspective which is so totally meat-oriented. Or should I say, meat-and-potatoes?

Vegan_Noodle said...

I need to follow in your footsteps and try not to purchase more cookbooks... so hard.