I think I'm finally getting the hang of baking muffins, because these turned out really well. I wanted to try something different, but I love my chocolate carob-chip muffins, so I decided to make two half batches. Also, Phil forced his camera on me, hence the close-up. My camera doesn't have that skill, so it's nice to get those pretty flax flax seeds in focus!
Also, inspired by Happy Herbivore, I replaced the oil with apple sauce in both of my muffins. It was a no-brainer in these since they had apple sauce anyways. So moist and tasty!
Here's my half-recipe. Feel free to double for a full one.
Apple Flax Muffins
Makes 6 muffins
- 1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. golden flax seeds, plus more for tops
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. apple sauce
- 1/2 an apple, thinly sliced, chopped and peeled
- 3/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare your muffin pan (i.e. grease it or flour it if you need to).
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, flax seeds and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Make a little well in the center and add water, apple sauce, chopped apple and the sugar last. Stir well until moist evenly throughout.
4. Distribute evenly throughout 6 muffin thingies. Sprinkle generously with flax seeds and bake for 20 minutes.
AND EAT! Without guilt.