Sunday, March 16, 2008

Potstickers with Baby Bok and Red Cabbage


This is not traditional in any sense of the word, but I got a craving for potstickers and that craving had to be satisfied. Since all of the wonton wrappers at Whole Foods had egg in them, I decided to make my own. However, this is pretty labor intensive, and I have a pasta roller-thingy that my mom passed on to me, so if you don't feel like spending an hour kneading, rolling and flouring, buy some at an Asian food market.

So, what you're seeing in that picture is leftover 'sausage' (Vegan Dad's recipe), red cabbage, baby bok choi, potstickers (true to their word, they stuck... and tore), and brown rice. Yum! Here's how you do it.

Potstickers!

Ingredients:

  • 1 package eggless wonton wrappers
  • 1 tbsp. canola oil for potstickin'
  • 1/2 recipe for sausage, roughly chopped
  • 1 c. cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 c. red cabbage, shredded small
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp. sesame oil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Dipping sauce:
  • 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 3 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped green onion
  • 1 tsp. crushed red pepper

1. Heat the sesame oil in a skillet. Add the mushrooms, cabbage and onions. Saute until soft (4-7 min) then remove from heat.
2. Lay your wrapper flat. Place a spoonful of filling in the center, then a few chunks of sausage. Fold the wonton in half so the edges meet, and being sure to get the air out, press the edges together. Set on a floured plate until ready to fry them. Repeat as many times as you want!
3. When you're ready to cook them, heat the canola oil in your skillet over medium heat until hot. Place the potstickers in the pan so that they all touch the bottom and let cook for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them. You can see the progress by lifting them up, if you need to check.
4. Once they are crispy, add enough water (between 1/2 c. and 1 c.) to cover the bottom. Don't worry-- it's normal for the water to pop and fizzle a lot. Cover with lid and let them steam for 5 minutes or so. Remove the lid and continue cooking until all the water is evaporated.
5. Whisk together the dipping sauce and serve immediately with a side of brown rice, and sauteed veggies. I sauteed baby bok and red cabbage in sesame oil with minced garlic and soy sauce.

3 comments:

SueWho said...

I see baby bok choy in the picture and in the title/description, but it's not mentioned in your recipe. How much bok choy? Looks delicious!

Binx said...

You're right! I served it with bok choi but i didn't put it in the potstickers and got lazy at the end.

But I sauteed bok choi with red cabbage, garlic, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil for a side! I know you like bok choi, you should try that.

SueWho said...

actually, after I wrote that, I saw where it was mentioned. I'm just lazy I guess. I should have read the entire recipe - Sorry about that! It looks so delicious, scrumptious, that I want to have some!