Thursday, March 13, 2008

Chickpeas a la King


I don't remember much about the first few years of vegetarianism, which I guess means my mom, who was not a vegetarian, did a good job feeding me (she's the best mom, truly). I do, however, know what meat I never tried as a meat eater, and Chicken a la King is one of them. In fact, I had no idea what it was before I came across 'Chickpeas a la King' in Jo Stepaniak's Vegan Vittles the other day.

Oh, it was heaven.

I served it over quinoa and steamed some peas and carrots for the side.

The recipe is already online here, so I will just post it as well. However, I must say-- if you like this, buy her cookbook! It's vegan comfort food, but healthy. And it's tastes great. I didn't use it much in the past because I've always been afraid of nurtitional yeast. But now we're best friends!

Okay.

Chickpeas A'la King

Recipe By :Joanne Stepaniak

Submitted by: Sue in NJ

Nutritional info is for regular Rice Dreams rice milk. A fat-free soy or rice milk would give this recipe an even lower fat and calorie count.

1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup red bell pepper -- chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme -- crumbled
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups rice milk -- or low-fat soymilk or other non-dairy milk
1 1/2 cups chickpeas -- 1-15oz can, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup scallions -- finely chopped

1. Sauté the mushrooms & bell peppers in water or veggie broth (original recipe called for oil) for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly so they don't stick or brown. Stir in the flour, then add nutritional yeast and spices and continue cooking & stirring for another minute.

2. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the milk, mixing constantly to avoid lumps.

3. Return to heat to continue cooking. Stir constantly until thickened, then add chickpeas & scallions and continue cooking another 3-5 minutes or until the chickpeas are thoroughly warmed.

4. Serve at once over biscuits, rice, noodles or toast points.

Serving Size : 4

Description:
"Use chickpeas, not chicken in this old fashioned entrée. You're bound to get compliments that will make you crow. Serve it over rice, toasted bread triangles, or split biscuits. - Jo Stepaniak"

Source:
"Vegan Vittles - Recipes Inspired by the Critters of the Farm Sanctuary"

1 comments:

livelovefruit said...

The best meal ever, I add 3 cloves garlic and green peas inside the mixture as well - SO YUMMY! Thank you for this, I am sure it could win many competitions if you brought it to a cook off somewhere :)