Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thai Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce


I kept forgetting to post, so I'll do the last few days today.

On Sunday, Emlit (my sister) came over for dinner! What a nice surprise. We talked so much we didn't get to watch the movie we rented (which is how it should be!) At any rate, we made Vegetarian Times' Thai Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce and it was killer! Since we changed some stuff a bit, and it's already on the web, I'm going to post it here. Hopefully VT won't come after me. The recipe is actually for skewers, kabob style, but because I suck at reading directions I didn't realize this until we were supposed to skewer them. And I don't have any skewers. So we improvised. Also, I've never written down cooking directions, so yes, I know this is kind of convoluted. But I'm trying!

Thai Tofu Satay

  • 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil (or toasted sesame oil for added flavor)
  • 1 10-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Small onion of your choice (i used yellow)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (about 1 1/2 cups)
Peanut Sauce (the delicious key to this recipe)
  • 3/4 cup light coconut milk
  • 1 tsp. red curry paste, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 2 Tbs. brown sugar or raw sugar
  • 1 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Quinoa Yum
  • 2 c. quinoa (? I used a rice cooker, and just followed the lines. However, quinoa is a 1:2 grain, so 1 c. quinoa cooked with 2. water yields 3 c. cooked quinoa, or thereabouts)
  • 4 c. water
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. sweet paprika
1. If using a rice cooker, fill to line 1 with quinoa, then to line 2 with water. Add salt and paprika, give a quick stir, and switch on. If cooking in a pot, do the same thing but with the measurements I gave above. Bring everything to a boil, then simmer covered for 15-20 minutes depending on the texture you want.
2. Whisk together soy sauce and tumeric, then combine with tofu and mushrooms in a large container. I used a tuperware, so I could shake it periodically to insure full-coverage. Yum.
3. To make Peanut Sauce: Whisk together coconut milk and red curry paste in saucepan. Whisk in peanut butter until smooth. Stir in sugar, lemon juice and salt, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and cook for five minutes, or until soft. Toss in the tofu, mushrooms, and garlic. Stirring often, let it cook on medium heat for about ten minutes-- until the tofu looks done and the mushrooms are soft and spongy. Once this is achieved, lower the heat and move to the next step.
5. Reheat the peanut sauce on low heat and add 1/4 c. water to thin it out. You have two options: either toss in with the stir-fry directly in the skillet, or drizzle it on top after plating everything. Either way, this sauce is so ridiculously good. Serve on top on the quinoa!

The end. It was awesome. We ate it with this.

3 comments:

EmLit said...

You're right, that recipe was killer. I am glad you posted it because I want to make it sometime!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

my husband is begging for this!
i cant blame him. we love thai and we love peanut sauce!

Chef Erik said...

You recipe looks great. I make a lot of quinoa at work. Can't get enough. You should submit this recipe to my Veg Head carnival.